A Pilgrimage Special: Dana at Maha Bodhi Society

I would remember Bodhgaya too as the first place where we performed dana to the monks.Dāna in Sanskrit or Pali , means generosity or giving. In Buddhism, it also refers to the practice of cultivating generosity. Early the next morning after arriving at Bodhgaya, we were ushered to Maha Bodhi Society which was founded by Anagarika Dharmapala. In 1891 Anagarika Dharmapala had visited the Mahabodhi Temple, where Siddhartha Gautama attained enlightenment . He was shocked to find the temple in the hands of a Saivite priest. He vowed to fight for the temple so that it would be cared by the Buddhists themselves and as a first step, hadset up Maha Bodhi Society. It was there where we served some monks breakfast...
19

Attending a prayer session at the Maha Bodhi Society...





Serving the monks breakfast...


Comments

Liudmila said…
:)))
"You see, this day I came finally into mosque.
Last time I was here a year ago.
But today I came here not to pray,
The rug I've stolen a year ago is worn out
I came to change the run today."
Omar Khayyam

I think, buddhist monks like to eat too much...
footiam said…
Oh! Stealing rugs from mosque? That's new to me but since it comes from Omar Khayyam, it must be ancient! Nowadays, you'll lose shoes there, also in temples too actually but that has more to do with the thief rather than the religion. And yes Buddhist monks like to eat too much. It's not one their precepts, I suppose!