Java Jamboree: Houses at Taman Mini Indonesia Indah

I remember sitting up to get a better glimpse of a colourful building while in Jakarta. At long last, we had readched Taman Mini Indonesia Indah or TMII for short. The building was some sort of museum and there were art galleries there too. Indonesia is a vast country and each Indonesian province has its own distinct cultures, attire and dialects. In TMII, there are models of each of the houses from the 26 different provinces in Indonesia The houses are built around the main lake and are thematically divided into six areas in respect to the main islands of Indonesia; Java, Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, the Lesser Sunda Islands, Maluku and Papua. For about 900 Rupiah per person, it was a deal. One gets to see almost the whole of Indonesia there but then, you'd probably have to spend a whole day there.Since we reached TMII around 5 p.m, we did not get to see everything there. We missed the museums and art galleries for most were closed and my travelling friends didn't seem that keen too; but never mind, one can't have it all...

Some of the houses in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah...














Traveling Tip: Make sure you have enough time!

Comments

Dylan said…
Wow, truly exotic. I love traveling though haven't traveled extensively, have been only to few places and have had the most pleasurable experience. Yet to visit Indonesia.
footiam said…
Hope you travel to my part of the world, Dylan!
Liudmila said…
Very interesting buildings. I do ot uderstad how can they do these roofs. And than what they need them for?
footiam said…
The roof looks like a boat to signify that the ancestors of these people once travelled by boat, believed to be fromSouth China to Indonesia, most notably Sulawesi. I think that was what the tourist guide told us, when I was in Makasar, Sulawesi. Sulawesi will be another story ...
Liudmila said…
Ah si? Very interesting. I was sure that the "special" constructions have to have their meanings.
footiam said…
That's for the house from Makasar, Sulawesi. I think I heard the tour guide mentioned that but really, sometimes, I don't understand half the things they say!
Liudmila said…
;-))) You are right. I'm part time tourist guide too and sometimes do not understand what I tell. ;-)
footiam said…
Oh! The guide doesn't know what she is talking, the tourists doesn't know what they have been listening; it is a world of confusion!