Sulawesi Surprise! : A Dusty Market

A burial site may not be a place which you would like to visit. The one opposite the school was a small one anyway and most probably you would forget it the moment you step foot on the market in Tana Toraja but then again, that probably would be an understatement. I suppose Western anthropologists have been known to visit Tana Toraja for the sheer purpose of studying the burial sites of the the 40% or so animists here. But if that's not your cup of tea, get ready to walk the dusty, open air market in Tana Toraja and drink in the sight of callous peddlers peddling their strange wares. Like the little burial site which had earlier offered a glimpse of the macabre, the dusty market had in store some surprises yet... 23



Can you see anything you fancy in this market?
















Traveling Tip: Be ready for surprises!

Comments

Liudmila said…
Mmmm... it has to be a reason why they are one near the other...
footiam said…
I don't know if there is a reason but Chinese wouldn't like having their houses near a cemetery especially opposite it. Would you mind that?
Thomas C B Chua said…
footiam, what are those round black things?

Why do the sellers look so glum?

About houses being near to cemetry, well, I can only think of one reason... er.. it is easier to visit for All Souls' Day or "Cheng Beng." LOL
blogmetravel said…
Vibrantly beautiful photographs!
Liudmila said…
:0))) I agree with Chinese. Cemetery is not a place to live nearby. Death needs ...mmm... respect and solitude, I think.

It seems to me, I solved the PC and line problems and am finally back to blogging.
footiam said…
It is definitely not salted eggs but if I remember right, it is a type of ingredient used to prepare local dish- don't ask me to eat that though.
I suppose the sellers are glum because sales is not that brisk and i would be glum if I have to stay there forever!
Yes, it is easier to visit for All Soul's Day! The locals do visit these places. More on that later.
footiam said…
Liudmila,That's a new way of thinking- very refreshing - the death needs respect and solitude. I would like to have that too!
Oh, I am sorry to hear you have line problem over ther but where you are living, it's beautiful up the hill. Perhaps, you do not miss blogging at all.
footiam said…
Thanks for visiting, blogmetravel. Glad you like them!