Visiting Vietnam: Our Red Dunes

Vietnam, I suppose isn't known for deserts; often we hear of Sahara Desert, Gobi Desert, Kalahari Desert and the likes; and even if Mui Ne has two deserts to flaunt, it wouldn't be surprising that many people haven't heard of Mũi Ne's White and Red Dunes. Somewhere, I thought I read that the deserts were the result of Agent Orange being used during the Vietnam War but I also remember having read that the wind from the sea had deposited the sand there. As their names imply, the white dunes have white sand and the red dunes have reddish sand. The former is bigger but I wasn't really aware of that. It was in a hot afternoon when we were there and we were too occupied with riding down the dunes with rented plastic sheets which acted as sleds. I heard people fly kites here too and come in the morning or evening to see the sun rise or set. Of course, we didn't come at the recommended time; that is in the early morning or late afternoon; so, I suppose we didn't see a big crowd, a dirty place or have unpleasant experiences with rude youngsters renting plastic sleds as reported by some tourists. Instead, we had a beautiful red dunes all to ourselves!

                                 26

Can you spot our sled?





Comments