Borneo Break: Attending a Wedding

Many years ago, a friend of mine visited Borneo. He planned the trip for weeks, writing to a childhood friend working there about his impending trip. His friend was supposed to meet him at the airport and he was supposed to put up with him in his rented house. On the day of his arrival however the friend was nowhere to be seen. Luckily for my friend, he knew other people there and someone else picked him up instead. I suppose their friendship fizzled out after that and it was no wonder- his childhood friend wasn't a friend in the first place. Traveling alone to Borneo now, I was quite worried about suffering the same fate. I suppose I could call up another friend in Miri or look for a hotel there myself but the important thing here is the trust you have in a friend-It always hurts when a friend lets you down and I don't enjoy going through that feeling. Was I glad then when two hours or so after boarding my plane, I walked out of the departure hall and there was Mau Wei, waiting with a big smile on her face! She was dressed up as she was to attend her friend's wedding. I had a quick change in the toilet and then, I was off, tagging along to a wedding of someone whom I did not even know! It was a lavish dinner, the first I had in Miri and I don't even have to bring an 'ang pau' - that is a red packet filled with money that Chinese give to the host of a wedding. My Borneo Break was really full of promise...

A wedding dinner in Miri...




Food... Food...



Travel Tip: Travel with friends!

Comments

Liudmila said…
I said it just: you have a special karma to be in the right place (where thee is something good to eat) at the right time (when it's time to eat that all good to eat) ;-)))
footiam said…
I an glad and thankful!