Borneo Break: Prelude

As far as I remember, Mau Wei had been inviting friends in Peninsular Malaysia to go over to Borneo. She had been working for almost half a decade in Miri, Sarawak. One day, she called and extended that invitation and since my Tibet trip had been called off because of the problems that arose in Llasa, I decided to go to Miri instead. I booked tickets weeks before the actual trip and when the big day finally arrived, my niece drove me to Kamunting to catch a bus to Penang where I would board a plane to Kuala Lumpur. Just before she dropped me off at the bus station however, she took me to a food fair. She had lots of coupons with her and together we went round the stalls that had been set up by voluntary private organisations to raise funds for a school for the handicapped, Sekolah Semangat Maju. Over there, I got to see some special children performing the Chicken Dance...

Special children performing the Chicken Dance...



Travel Tip: Take joy in preparing for a trip.

Comments

Liudmila said…
You have this great possibility to travel often. From here all this places are so exotic and beautiful, but is it the same for you? Many persons are not able to see the beauties of the own countery.
footiam said…
I am just lucky. It's nice to meet people elsewhere but in the end of the day, the people around you are the most important. The tree in the backyard is just as beautiful; sometimes, even more beautiful than in other places!