Ancient City Ayutthaya: Missing Out in Wat Phutthaisawan

Wat Phutthaisawan, one of the temples which survived Burmese destruction, is no doubt an important temple. This could be seen by the presence of a tall  white tower-like spire, a Khmer-style pagoda called a prang. The temple was built in 1353 by the founder of Ayutthaya Kingdom, King Uthong at the site of his palace. There were a number of statues of the Ayutthaya Kings there and I suppose the temple has been appropriately called the Monastery of Buddhist Kingship. While exploring the newer part of the temple, we were surprised by the presence of four Japanese teenagers. I remember they had appeared suddenly from nowhere. I suppose they must have seen the statue of the reclining Buddha and other interesting parts of the old temple which we had missed. Sometimes, I really wish I'd done some homework before visiting the temple...
                                      13








Comments