Visiting Vietnam: Missing

I remember there was a knock on our door. It was very early in the morning. The sky was still dark and I was feeling lethargic. So, I decided to sleep while some friends went to the beach to view the sunrise. Later, they did talk about the beautiful sunrise and fishermen coming back from the sea with their catch. Mũi Né is a place to see sunrise but my roommate and I missed that. There was no question of a second chance. We checked out early that morning and made our way to the white sand dunes; but not before making a brief stop at the harbour. There were many thung chai there, round Vietnamese fishing boats woven out of bamboo which looked like baskets. It was said they were created during the French colonial era. When the French levied taxes on boats, fishermen who couldn’t afford to pay designed circular woven baskets to be used as boats. Clever Vietnamese!

                                      24



Comments