Sulawesi Surprise!: Signs of the Orient

When the rain didn't show signs of stopping, some of us got rather restless. I got out of the hotel and into the corridor and hey, there was a shop next door selling junk food and handicrafts. I wandered into the dusty shop and tucked at a corner, I saw an urn with burnt joss sticks. That shop must have belonged to some orientals! Suddenly, I recalled the night our bus moved into Makassar. Our guide chatted merrily all the way. At one part of the city, I thought I saw a big wooden door with a painting of some kind of door god. Umm.. That was rather like Penang, I thought. Our guide told us then we were passing the Chinese part of the city and the area would bustled with activities especially during Chinese New Year. There are many Chinese in Makassar and now, here at a dusty shop near our hotel, I saw signs of one!    6

Traveling Tip: Look for signs!

Comments