P for Phattalung: A Bridge So Long


I am aware there's a Hollywood Richard Attenborough directed war film, the 1977 A Bridge Too Far but really, I'm not into war movies. If there's a bridge that would interest me, it has to be the Thale Noi Bridge in Phattalung, Thailand. My friends and I had taken a van there; passing shrub lands, picturesque estuaries where I had my first live glimpse of Chinese fishing square nets. The Thale Noi Bridge links Amphoe Khuan Khanun in Phatthalung province and Amphoe Ranot in Songkla Province. It passes a wide expanse of wetlands, some 5.45 kilometers of it; which bird watchers would find delight in since big cranes; the ones you see in Chinese paintings, prowl here; as with hundreds of other species of birds. The bridge is rather long and there are stopping bays;  and we just stopped to take some photos and drink in the sight. Then, we caught sight of a little stall selling dried and salted fish and ended up buying packets and packets of anchovies...
                                           2














Comments